At 09:44 AM 8/17/97 -0400, Neely wrote:
>Hello to All,
>
>We are moving to a standard IP across all our networks.  This will be
great for
>our local connectivity, however, to access the Internet we use a dial up
>connection that will assign an IP address at connection.  Does anyone know
of a
>way that I can configure the systems so that when I dial to the Internet I
will
>not loose my connection to the AS/400, LAN, etc?
>
>TIA,
>
>Neely N. Loring

I know enough here to be dangerous, I think, but here goes.

If you want to isolate your internal addressing from the big "I" Internet,
there are some addresses reserved for private use. One of them is
10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255  . The TCP/IP Reference for the AS/400 has them
somewhere, I think. This allows you to do whatever you want internally. It
does require, however, some kind of router to talk to the outside world.
This is usually provided by the ISP, and it has a permanent address
assigned on the outside (the ISP side) of the router, with one of your
private address on the inside.

Dialup may not be, as far as I know, the best way to go here. You'll
probably run into gateway/route problems, and I don't know if
gateways/routes can be dynamically assigned. The AS/400 itself needs to
have routes defined (option 2 of CFGTCP), and it needs real addresses in
the configuration.

Your ISP should be able to help you here. It may be that the best thing to
do is bite the bullet and pay for a fixed address.

Good luck,

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(612) 371-1111 x480