At 04:24 PM 8/20/97 -0400, you wrote:

>TO:    MIDRANGE MIDRANGE  MIDRANGE-L@MIDRANGE.COM

>FROM:  SMITHRK  OSURF     Ronald K. Smith

>DATE:  August 20, 1997
>TIME:  04:23:26 PM EDT
>SUBJECT:       Re: Telecommuting???

>David,
>
>I have been uning TN5250 to my 400 from home for several years.  I am
>using TN5250 for OS/2 using a 33K modem.  As long as I only need a
>single session, I find that I can do everything that I do here in the
>office.

Most TN5250 emulators support multiple sessions (check out Attachmate, WRQ,
PCOM etc.) Disclaimer:  I have no interest in any of the mentioned products.

>I am not a developer, but I do a lot of transactions.  No printer is a
>problem.  I would say that a 33.6 line to a good ISP would work very
>well.  Make sure you have a good monitor a home.  That is my main
>problem.

Printing can be accomplished by using LPD software on the PC side and
creating an outq (V3R1 or higher) that points to the IP address of your PC.

>Ron Smith
>

>Ronald K. Smith
>The Ohio State University Research Foundation
>smithrk?osurf@osurf400.rf.ohio-state.edu
>Tel 614/292-3499        FAX 614/292-6870

>Sender: mcsnet!midrange.com!midrange-l-owner@Mcs.Net
>From: "David Gibbs" <devdmg@silvon-server.uisinc.com>
>To: midrange-l@midrange.com
>Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:51:09 CST
>Sender: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
>Subject: Telecommuting???

>Folks:
>
>I'm interested in peoples experiences with Telecommuting for AS400
>developers.
>
>Has anyone tried using a VPN via the Internet to folks homes?
>

>Is a 28.8/33.6 dialup connection enough for a developer to be
>effective?  Is an offline source editor necessary?
>
>TIA!
>
>david
>--
>
>David Gibbs
>Sr. Software Engineer
>Silvon Software
>Westmont, IL
>(630) 655-3313 x6479
>http://www.silvon.com
>mailto:david.gibbs@silvon.com
>
>Opinions expressed are strictly my own and do
>not necessarily reflect those of my employer
>
>... You'll only see your obstacles each time
>    you take your eyes off of your goal.
>
>                   -- DMRoth

Carl J. Galgano
cgalgano@ediconsulting.com