On  8 Aug 97 at 11:19, Alan Pruitt wrote:

> For those who have experience with OEM disks, I would like to hear
> if you have had any difficulties that we should know about.  In
> particular, I'm interested in whether you have ever experienced a
> problem with:

Alan:

I had a MAJOR (repeat MAJOR) problem with OEM disks on a
CISC->RISC upgrade (F35 -> 510).  Did I say MAJOR problems?

There was a subtle, but significant, incompatability with EMC (now
DecisionOne) "SC" disk drives that didn't manifest itself until the
system was back up and running. The disks didn't report any errors
(thus EMC said it wasn't their disks), but we encountered a
significant number of damaged objects for no apparent reason.  It
took a VMC programmer from Rochester to debug the disk drive code to
see why the problems were occuring.

For the longest time, EMC refused to admit there was a problem...
when, it turns out, they knew the drives were incompatible for quite
some time.

Also, although I have no proof of this, I suspect that the SEVERE
performance problems that I encountered after running the disk prep
part of the migration utility were due to our OEM disk.  (SEVERE = 30
minute response time).

If you would like more of the gorey details, please email me
privately at the MIDRANGE.COM address.

david

p.s. <wave> Hi Dennis!

--

David Gibbs
Sr. Software Engineer

Opinions expressed are strictly my own and do
not necessarily reflect those of my employer

... You'll only see your obstacles each time
    you take your eyes off of your goal.

                   -- DMRoth