Venu Gopal wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
>      Thanx for your reply. When I tried RUNRMTCMD, I got the following
> error :
>
> "A remote host refused an attempted connection operation"
>
>      I have given the remote command (execute a batch file), I have
> specified the IP address, the userid and password of the remote host. It
> was not working. Am I missing something?
>
> Also I didnot understand Mark's point (also the command help).It says " the
> PC  (my remote host) must be running a rexecd (remote executing
> daemon) in order for the RUNRMTCMD to work. "
>
> What exactly it means. How do I make it work? Please help me in this. Thanx
> in advance for any help.

> P.S., There is one command called STRPCCMD which runs a PC job. But it is
> only for local PC workstation (C:\). Is there anyway I can utilise the
> functions of this command.

The rExecd daemon required for your PC is part of the newer CA/400 code.
Are you running CA/400 to connect the PC to AS/400 ?  If so, what
version ?  It appears the RUNRMTCMD for a PC running CA/400 will ONLY
work with an SNA connection.  The TCP option is for Unix systems only.
(You COULD connect to the PC via AnyNet).

STRPCCMD only works when you have a CA/400 (or PC Support/400)
connection from PC to 400.  It was part of original PC Support/400 and
it's purpose was to allow you to run PC jobs from an AS/400 menu or
command line.  I don't think you could utilize this for what you are
trying to do as your target PC is remote.

The following item from the IBM Technical Q&A database may be of help:

Item RTA000064198

Source..........: ITSO   ROCH1
Last updated....: 12/23/1996
Abstract........: AS/400 RUNRMTCMD is REXEC client for TCP/IP networks
V3R1M0

Is there a way to call a remote program on a PC or UNIX
styled machine from an AS/400?  And, can I get feedback on
how it ran?

ANSWER

There is a new command for V3R1M0 called RUNRMTCMD.  Here is the first
page of help from this little gem:

                         Run Remote Command (RUNRMTCMD)

 :                         Run Remote Command -
Help                          :

:
:
 :      The Run Remote Command (RUNRMTCMD) command allows AS/400 users
to     :
 :      run a command on a remote system that is running the target
portion   :
 :      of this
function.                                                     :

:
:
 :      The target portion of this function can be an rexecd
(remote          :
 :      executing) daemon if you specify *TCP for the address type, or
an     :
 :      arexecd (APPC executing) daemon if you specify *SNA for the
address   :
 :      type.  If you want to run a command on a Client Access/400
client     :
 :      that supports this function, you will need to specify *SNA for
the    :
 :      address
type.                                                         :

:
:
 :      When the command is sent to the remote system, the local
system       :
 :      waits for the command to complete and the output from the
remote      :
 :      command will be placed in a spooled
file.                             :

:
:
 :
More...  :
 :  F3=Exit help   F10=Move to top   F11=InfoSeeker
F12=Cancel              :
 :  F13=Information Assistant        F14=Print
help                           :

:
:

:............................................................................:

This command was brought to us by the CA/400 folks, but can be used by
a much wider audience - anybody that has a system (usually TCP/IP based)
that is running the REXEC deamon via sockets.

By the way, RUNRMTCMD for *IP is written to the sockets API, which
would allow it to be carried over an SNA network via AnyNet.

Here is an example of how you would use this between an AS/400 at OS/400
V3R1M0 and OS/2 with TCP/IP for OS/2 V2.0:

OS/2 REXEC Deamon Config : (we assume you already have everything
already
                            configured for sessions between the OS/2
                            system and the AS/400 for IP)

  1) Double click on TCP/IP Configuration (in TCP/IP icon view)
  2) Goto the Autostart pages (page 1 of 4)
     a) Check, Enable this machine to start the INETD super server
     b) Check, Enable others to remotely execute commands
        Start Using (inetd)
  3) Goto Services pages (page 2 of 3)
     a) Username for REXEC & Remote Printing... testuser
     b) Password for REXEC Users            ... testpwd

     Note: these two entries are case sensative.
  4) Save this config.  Saving the configuration will make changes to
     the CONFIG.SYS.
  5) Shutdown, and then reboot your system.
  6) TCPSTART your TCP/IP on the OS/2 system.

  Now the OS/2 system is ready to handle REXEC requests from the
  AS/400 via IP.

AS/400 RUNRMTCMD example:

  1) RUNRMTCMD CMD('dir c:\') RMTLOCNAME(hostname *IP)
     RMTUSER('testuser') RMTPWD('testpwd')

     Note: the RMTUSER and RMTPWD is case sensitive.
     Note: the CMD most likely should be also enclosed in single quotes.
     Note: hostname is the name of the OS/2 host

   2) Sample output found in a spool file: (WRKJOB, option 4)

                                   Display Spooled File
      File  . . . . . :   QSYSPRT
      Control . . . . .
      Find  . . . . . .
      *...+....1....+....2....+....3....+....
       The volume label in drive C is OS2.
       The Volume Serial Number is 25FC:C015
       Directory of C:\
      OS2          <DIR>      3-11-94   8:30a
      PSFONTS      <DIR>      6-23-94   1:03p
      AUTOEXEC BAT      311   3-11-94   8:57a
      IBMCOM       <DIR>      3-11-94   9:23a
      XGA$DMQS     <DIR>      3-11-94   8:58a
      SPOOL        <DIR>      3-11-94   9:02a
      DESKTOP      <DIR>      3-11-94   9:02a
      NOWHERE      <DIR>      3-11-94   9:02a
      TN5250   ERR      205  11-29-94   1:16a
      README          40415   5-11-93   8:10p
      MASTERC      <DIR>      8-24-94   7:54a
      CMLIB        <DIR>      3-11-94  10:13a
      FILE0000 CHK     2048   8-23-94   5:53p

S e a r c h - k e y w o r d s:
RUNRMTCMD REXEC TCP IP TCP/IP AS/400

--
... Neil Palmer                                      AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology -Canada       ____________          ___  ~