  • Subject: Re: *DSPF question.
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:09:43 -0400 (EDT)

Dave,

> >> Personally I usually just compile everything with RSTDSP(*NO) and then
>  >>  use program testing to discover the places where I need RSTDSP(*YES).
If
>  >>  you test properly it'll soon become apparent. You can change the
RSTDSP
>  >>  value of a display file without recreating it, incidentally; use the
>  >>  CHGDSPF command.
>  >
>  >Bravo Dave!  Good strategy...
>
>  Thanks, Dean, unless there's an ironic overtone there I failed to
>  detect. :-)  BTW that's another reason I prefer moving objects into
>  production rather than compiling them. You don't have to jump through
>  hoops to make sure all the compile time options are the same as they
>  were in testing.

Dave, Dave, Dave (head shaking).  If you don't know by now that there's no
"hidden agenda" here at ESC, I don't know what else to say.  I would think
that you would know after all this time that I have no problem disagreeing
with people directly ;-)!  The last is what we do with our CMS.  Actually
kinda important since we now have no compilers on that box (simplifies EDP
audits, keeps the source off the system, and reduces IBM's maintenance fees).

>  How about the following strategy? On every transaction always build the
>  full screen. Use PUTOVR with OVRATR and OVRDTA to avoid sending data
>  that's already on the screen. Condition the PUTOVR on the off setting of
>  an indicator. Use the SETOF keyword to turn the indicator off
>  automatically whenever the final format of the display is written. In
>  your programs whenever you return from a lower level function that
>  writes formats from a different display file, set the indicator on.
>  PUTOVR will now be automatically in effect unless the screen needs
>  restoring.

Sounds good to me, but then AS/Set automatically generates these so I really
have no choice in following your strategy :-).  I SEEM to recall <VBG> that
this was a good strategy in my 3GL days...

>  This should allow you to use RSTDSP(*NO) with all your display files and
>  USRRSTDSP with all your windows. Does anyone see any snags with this
>  approach?

I don't, but I'll duck with you...

Thanks!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM

"Great moments in science:  Einstein discovers that time actually IS money."
-- Gary Larson, "Far Side" caption.