  • Subject: Re:SYNON on an AS/400 150 Advanced Server
  • From: "Richard Williams" <rickw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:23:15 -0400

We use Synon/2E on a 40S with 96MB memory and 8GB DASD. Depending on the
time of day (and phase of the moon, I think), there will be from two to
four Synon developers on the machine at any one time. Generally, each
developer has from two to four active sessions running.

With four developers each using up to four sessions, performance is
sloooooow! Although Synon _is_ a resource hog, I also suspect the 40S.
AS/400 Server models don't like too many "traditional" (i.e. interactive,
green screen) jobs running at the same time.

I believe that the CPW ratings for the 150 and the 40S are similar. I would
suggest you have another look before jumping into a 150.