Mark wrote, in part:
>     We are running an AS/400 V3R2 with JustMail/400 and TCP/IP SMTP which
>     is connected to our "official" corporate e-mail system (cc:Mail).
>     I've automated several distribution-type functions such as sending a
>     data file to an external customer by using SNDDST ...
>
>     My problem is this:
>
>          Occasionally the message doesn't reach the recipient and
>          nobody on our staff is aware of it either.
>
>          Every time we notice it [or worse yet, when one of our
>          CUSTOMERs notices it] I check with our cc:Mail
>          administrator, we plunk around a little, try it again, etc.
>          The normal pattern is that he says that cc:Mail isn't
>          "seeing it come across", we each try some other
>          options/settings/etc and then it starts working again
>          [without really knowing what was wrong or what fixed it].
>
>          Are there any tools available [hopefully at least somewhat
>          programmer-friendly ones] to determine the EXACT state of a
>          message that is sent through a network such as this.  I'm
>          really just trying to pinpoint that the AS/400 has either
>          SENT or NOT SENT the message [and of course WHY if the
>          answer is NOT SENT].

We've been having a similar problem wiht v3r1:  SMTP mail from our AS/400
to The Internet gets 'hung up' on the AS/400 and never makes it.  IBM
suggested changing the retries to make the messages fail, but we're back to
the same problem:  QxSMTPSRVR job starts and shows xxx outgoing messages
queued. Some get pushed out if SMTP is ended and re-started, but that's not
a guarantee.

IBM took some dumps/flight recordings and thinks our DNS server (at our
ISP) isn't responding.

I've tried changing job priority of the SMTP server jobs to run above
Interactive, but there are still messages queued.

No, they're NOT stuck in the DSTQ.  (WRKDSTQ)

Anyone have any clues?

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com