  • Subject: Vendor Postings (was: Question: FileTrack Data Conversion)
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 00:58:43 -0400 (EDT)

Connect,

ENOUGH ALREADY!  Is this vendor bickering going to go on ad infinitum?  READ
THE LIST GUIDELINES published at the first of every month!  Vendor postings
are allowed for press releases and in answer to specific questions.  For
goodness sake, this wasn't even a VENDOR POSTING!!!  It was merely someone
trying to find out information about one.

I've been on this list for over two years and I have NEVER seen such volume
on a non-subject.  Someone thought that the GOTO discussion was bad?!?  Would
you commercialization zealots say that we should have no input from Hans
Boldt or Jon Paris of IBM?  They're vendors, you know!!!  Jerry Draper of
Trilobyte?  Brian from HelpSystems?  The much, and undeservedly, maligned Al
Barsa?  Pete Masselio?  Myself (don't answer that, I KNOW that I talk too
much!)?  Bob Cozzi?  Charlie Massoglia?  Anyone else that I missed that sells
products or services and also offers FREE advice on this list, 99.9% of which
does NOT point toward their own product or service?

The list is the list.  We thank people here (sometimes to get others to quit
offering advice when we found the solution 5 days ago).  Vendors post here
and, only when appropriate, mention their products.  We allow no flames here,
we're adults and (most of the time) handle ourselves accordingly.  We also
endeavor not to impugn the intentions of smart people that are merely trying
to be helpful -- THERE ARE NO HIDDEN AGENDAS ON MIDRANGE-L.

I realize that some of these minor aberrations from the Internet norms can be
annoying to long-time "surfers", especially those overseas that pay by the
byte for missives received.  However, I also feel that these "personal
touches" set MIDRANGE-L apart from mere "servers of information".  Here we
make neophytes and "old hands" alike feel comfortable, and isn't THAT what a
well-written application is all about in the first place?  If you don't like
it, David posts instructions on how to leave the list at the bottom of every
message.

I for one will brook NO MORE of these "vendor bashings", ESPECIALLY from
people that do not sign their real names and affiliation at the bottom of
their notes.  David handles flagrant offenses, and has been known to be
brutal when required.  If you have a problem, take it up with HIM and not the
LIST membership.

A special note about Al Barsa:  Al, Perry Mills, and a woman whose name I am
embarrased to have forgotten, volunteered their time at the first COMMON
conference I attended after going out on my own to advise people in a
two-hour open forum on the logistics and pitfalls of running your own
consulting business.  I had done this before on another platform, and thought
that I knew all that there was to know -- I was VERY wrong.  I particularly
remember Al taking his own time _after_ he got back to New York to find me a
suitable "Errors and Omissions" insurance agent, as I could not find anyone
here that knew what the heck I was asking for.  It is, in at least some part,
Al's doing that ESC now enters its third profitable year without succumbing
to the pitfalls of rapid growth that led me to start my own business in the
first place.  Lay off Al, he's a good man and truly WANTS to help...

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM

"One of the greatest labor-saving inventions of today is tomorrow." --
Vincent T. Foss

> More important what the hell areyou looking for or to do?
>
>  If it is commericalized  in any way send it privately!
>  Not going to be the straight person here.
>
>  In a message dated 97-07-17 19:28:23 EDT, you write:
>
>  <<
>   Reply to note of:   97-07-17 19:28:23 EDT from:     HankHeath
>   To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
>
>   Does anyone have experience with FileTrack Data Conversion from Outlook
>   Computing in Chicago? President is Mitch Cohen. This is supposed to
generate
>   data conversion programs for the AS/400. I ran a few searches. The only
Mitch