  • Subject: Re: Previous version libraries?
  • From: Paul Dods <pauldods@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:32:36 -0500

>libraries whose origin and/or usage is unknown to me.  I did not become
>involved with the AS/400 until around the time we upgraded to V3R1, so I
>don't know if these libraries came to be as a result of the upgrade, were
>just left behind from previous versions, or were created by a former sys
>admin.  Any assistance I can get in identifying these and/or determining
>whether they are necessary would be greatly appreciated.  In looking at them
>and a sampling of last use dates on the files within I am quite sure I can
>safely delete them, but I wanted to check with you folks first.
>
>Library        description (if any)          # objects      type of objects
> ----------         ---------------------------        -------------       -
> ---------------------
>
>QSYSV2R3M0                    1,752          mostly *CMDs, some PFs.
>
>QSYSV3R0M5                    1,379          mostly *CMDs, some PFs.
>
>QSYS2          System Lib for CPI's          85        mostly *PGMs, some
>LFs.
>
>QSYS38                           597         mostly *CMDs, some *PGMs.
>
>Thanks in advance!!
>Regards,
>Bob Clarke

QSYSVxRXMx      AS/400 CL compiler library, perrevious release support ; x
identifies
                the version, release, and modification level of the previous
release.

QSYS2           Supplemental system library for objects whose names do not
begin with
                the letter "Q"; includes, for example, objects for CPI's

QSYS38          Systemn/38 Environment library.

Above from  SX41-3720-00: AS/400 Programming Reference Summary - great
little reference book, all sys. admin's should have one.

To translate the above, the QSYSV* libraries support prior releases of CL
programs.  If you run the DSPSFWRSC command, you should see them listed as
optional parts to 5763SS1.
Use F11 from DSPSFWRSC to see the corresponding libraries.

QSYS38 is the System 38 support library.  OPtional part 6 to 5763SS1.

I believe if you're not compiling CL's to previous releases then you can get
rid of the QSYSV* libraries, using RMVLICPGM.  Greater minds than mine will
no doubt comment.  Ditto for getting rid of QSYS38.  I always keep these
around, in case there's a program or two out there running that requires
them; guess I'm afraid to remove them, and since I have lots of DASD, I
don't really care...

Regards,

Paul Dods
AS/400 Systems Programmer