  • Subject: Re: Previous version libraries?
  • From: Pete Massiello <PMassiello@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:38:20 -0400

Bob Clarke 3rd x4502 wrote:

> I am in the (never-ending) process of trying to clean up some libraries and
> files to free up some disk space.  In doing so I have come across some 'Q'
> libraries whose origin and/or usage is unknown to me.  I did not become
> involved with the AS/400 until around the time we upgraded to V3R1, so I
> don't know if these libraries came to be as a result of the upgrade, were
> just left behind from previous versions, or were created by a former sys
> admin.  Any assistance I can get in identifying these and/or determining
> whether they are necessary would be greatly appreciated.  In looking at them
> and a sampling of last use dates on the files within I am quite sure I can
> safely delete them, but I wanted to check with you folks first.

<<SNIP SNIP>>

Bob,

   Your comment about the never ending cleanup was quite interesting.
We have many customers that were forever spending time (I prefer the
term wasting time) cleaning up their DASD.  They were doing this so
often that it basically became part of their job description.  After
all, someone has to keep the DASD clean.
        As you may (or may not) know, we have a product, OS Director,  that
will automate the Systems Management, Database Administration, Disk
Management. Our customers have delegated this task to OS Director which
automatically performs many of the cleanup tasks you are probably
manually doing yourself.  OS Director can also help them identify
relationships between objects, so you know what has been used when and
by what other object (ie what programs uses this file).

   If you want some additional info, mail me your address offline.

As for your Q Libraries, you are best deleting those libraries using the
License Program Menu (GO LICPGM). Take option 12 to delete licensed
programs, and then select the options you want to delete.  Please
understand why you are deleting them, and the ramifications that
deleting an option can have.  If you delete the System/36 environment,
make sure that you don't have any programs that run in that environment.
Otherwise after you delete the option, they won't work. If you want to
delete QSYSV3R0M5 and QSYSV3R1M0, make sure you don't need to create
previous versions of CL programs. If you have a network of machines, on
different releases, do you ever need to compile a program at a previous
release.

As for sampling of dates in libraries as to when items are not used, you
must either do a lot of sampling, or be pretty damn lucky that you are
picking the right objects to check.  Its a little risky.

HTH

Pete Massiello
OS Solutions International
Phone: (203)-744-7854  Ext 11.