  • Subject: Printers: Network v 400
  • From: Doug Barnes <Doug.Barnes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:56:19 +0000

We have a workgroup that is considering having 10 - 20 AS/400 users
(CA/400 Win95)
connected to a system (510, V3R7) and a PC Network. They are trying
to decide wether to replace an IBM3812 with another AS/400 printer
(IBM 4317 - we are using elsewhere and like it) or have each user use
their own PC to support a printer session to a network printer
(HP5something) and have one printer support all their printing.

My question/comment(s) are...

How much overhead does having a printer writer for each user cause.

Should it be avoided?

I'd rather support a single printer device name, than have to deal
with PCPRT01P1, PCPRT02P1, PCPRT03P1, PCPRT04P1, PCPRT05P1,
PCPRT06P1, PCPRT07P1, PCPRT08P1, PCPRT09P1, PCPRT10P1, PCPRT11P1,
PCPRT12P1, etc...

The cost for a new 4317 v maintaining the 3812 is a no-brainer.
Although originally we had some trouble getting the 4317s up and
running, we have them doing just fine now.

Some users only have a terminal and would have to rely on other users
printer sessions on the 400, assuming they were active when they
needed it.

Although we have been able to print PC docs to the 4317 I'd rather
have one printer for the 400 and one for the PC network.

- Doug Barnes -