  • Subject: Re: mystery file on disk report
  • From: Kirk Goins <kgoins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 15:26:42 -0700

Bob Clarke 3rd x4502 wrote:

> Some time ago (almost a year perhaps) I posted a message to the list
> regarding a mysterious file showing up on my disk space reports.  Most of
> those who responded seemed to feel that doing a RCLSTG would likely get rid
> of this file.  Unfortunately this was not the case and I'm as perplexed as
> ever.  Here again are the details.
>
> >From Disk Space Report (via disktasks menu):
>
>      Object:        (blank ... no name listed)
>      Library:       (blank ... no library listed)
>      Type:          *STMF
>      Owner:         QSECOFR
>      % of Disk:     1.98% (never changes from week to week)
>      Size in Kbytes:     524330.0 (never changes from week to week)
>      Last Change:   07/06/97 (this is always the date of the last IPL)
>      Last Use: (blank ... never changes)
>
> Again, I ask:
>
>      Does anyone know what this is?
>      If so, is it something I need?
>      If not, how can I get rid of it?
>
> Any insight would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!

STMF is a Stream File and here's the stuff on it from:

AS/400
OS/400 Server Concepts and Administration
Version 3
Document Number SC41-3740-00
Program Number
5763-SS1

3.1 File Server

The file server allows PC users to store and access information, such as
files and programs, located on the AS/400 system.  This server replaces
the shared folder type 2 server that was used prior to V3R1.  The OS/400
file server interfaces with the integrated file system on the AS/400
system.  It provides file serving capabilities equivalent to shared
folder, but also allows PC clients to access information in any of the
new
file systems.  The PC clients use their own interface to interact with
the
file systems, rather than the integrated file system user interfaces and
APIs.

The integrated file system is a part of the OS/400 program.  It supports
stream input/output and storage management similar to personal computer
and UNIX** operating systems.  At the same time it provides an
integrating
structure over all information stored in AS/400.

The key features of the integrated file system are the following:

   Support for storing information in stream files that can contain
long
    continuous strings of data.  These strings of data might be, for
    example, the text of a document or the picture elements in a
picture.
    A stream file is simply a file containing a continuous stream of
data.
    Documents stored in AS/400 folders are stream files.  Other examples
    of stream files are PC files and the files in UNIX systems.  The
    stream file support is designed for efficient use in client/server
    applications.

   A hierarchical directory structure that allows objects to be
organized
    like fruit on the branches of a tree.  An object is accessed by
    specifying the path through the directories to the object.

   A common interface that allows users and applications to access not
    only the stream files, but also database files, documents, and other
    objects stored in AS/400.

With this support, AS/400 can support several different file systems
with
similar interfaces.  A file system provides the support that allows
users
and applications to access specific segments of storage that are
organized
as logical units.  These logical units are files, directories,
libraries,
and objects.  The AS/400 file systems are:

'root'       The '/' file system.  This file system is designed to take
             full advantage of the stream file support and hierarchical
             directory structure of the integrated file system.  It has
             the characteristics of the DOS and OS/2 file systems.

QOpenSys     The open systems file system.  This file system is designed
             to be compatible with UNIX-based system standards, such as
             POSIX** and XPG.

QSYS.LIB     The library file system.  This file system supports the
             AS/400 library system.  It provides access to database
files
             and all of the other AS/400 object types that are managed
by
             the library support.

QDLS         The document library services file system.  This file
system
             supports the folders structure. It provides access to
             documents and folders.

QLANSrv      The LAN Server/400 file system.  This file system provides
             access to the same directories and files that are accessed
             through the LAN Server/400 licensed program.

For more information on the integrated file system, see Integrated File
System Introduction, SC41-3711.

--
Kirk Goins
DecisionOne - Portland, OR