  • Subject: Re: V3R1 to V3R2 Upgrade
  • From: Neil Palmer <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:40:22 -0400 (EDT)

To clarify #7:  PWRDWNSYS *IMMED RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(D)
Will cause system to start IPL from V3R2 release tapes.
Make sure keylock is in NORMAL position.

Step 12.5 could be inserted here to reapply changes to IBM defaults
(commands, authorities, printer file defaults, subsystems, job queues,
routing entries, etc. etc.) that you may have made in the past, and if you
did you should have kept all these changes in a CL program (I have one
called RLSUPDCHG, I've seen others call it something like OS400CHGS, etc.).
Yes some people make changes in a library they place above QSYS.  I don't
like that approach (sorry guys  :-) ) because a) I don't really like having
a library above QSYS in the library list that someone else may place
surprises in, and  b) If you do have your own versions of commands etc.
above QSYS they may not work after a release upgrade anyway (ie. you may
have to recreate a command, make a subsystem change different because IBM
may have added the same routing entry you used into QCMN or somewhere, etc.)
so why not just place all your changes in a CL program that will recreate
commands, add routing entries, change command defaults, change command
authorities, etc.

Now, something VERY important that wasn't specifically touched on in your
post, that must be done BEFORE you upgrade to V3R2:
Order PTF's SF28709 & MF15284.  Read the cover letters carefully.  If the
conditions apply to you you need to apply these PTF's (DELAYED - ie.
IPL), run the SETDSKCLN *YES command, then IPL again.  Then use STRSST
(instructions in the PTF cover letters) to check that the scan/fix was
successful.
Then, AFTER you have done the above, EVERYONE needs to order MF10577 abd
follow the PTF cover instructions carefully to increase the LIC space, or
your V3R2 install will fail with SRC error code B6006167.

If you order PTF cover letter SF98320 all the above, and any extra tips,
should be clearly documented.

...Neil