  • Subject: Re: Multi Language Support on the AS/400 -Reply
  • From: Chuck Lewis <clewis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:41:39 -0700

Scott Cornell wrote:

> <A "real world" example:
>
> I speak fluent German and thus pick up the ocassional odd dollar doing
> translations.  A
> friend had some documents to translate, along with some PC package
> claiming to be able to
> translate English into German & vice versa.  She asked me to just
> "look over" the output and
> correct any "minor grammatical mistakes" that might be there.  The
> document in question was some kind of survey and the English version
> of one of the questions was as follows:
>
> "Please rate your proficiency with English -
> Poor
> Fair
> Excellent"
>
> The actual meaning of the resulting German translation was as follows:
>
> "Please value your skills in English
>
> Lacking money (e.g. "poor")
> County "Fair" or Marketplace
> Outstanding"
>
> I still chuckle today at the thought of any native speaker of German
> NOT familiar with English trying
> to make sense of that!

LOVE it !!!! PERFECT example (and just the TIP of the iceberg, I'm
SURE...)

--
Chuck

 _/         _/    _/   _/    _/   _/         _/   _/ CLEWIS@IQUEST.NET

Home page at: http://www.bizcom.com/chucklewis

"The opinions that are shown, are exclusively my own. All my own, all my

own..." and NOT my employer's (with apologies to Emerson, Lake and
Palmer)...