  • Subject: Re: Full database files
  • From: Francis Lapeyre <flapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 19:08:31 -0500

Matthias Oertli wrote:

> As everybody knows, every time a database file becomes full, the
> system sends a message to QSYSOPR asking to increase the
> file's size. You choose ignore, and that's that.
>
> While the system is waiting for the 'file-full' message to be
> answered,
> the job is on hold, obviously. If it happens to be an interactive job,
>
> the user/workstation is on hold until the message is answered.
>
> I would like to know how you people handle this situation. Do you
> let the users do Sysreq 6 and answer the message? Do you add
> the 'file-full' message to the system reply list and change all jobs
> use it? Is there an ever-present operator standing by to answer these
> messages?
>
> Your thought on this are appreciated.
> Regards,
> Matthias
> --------
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Matthias Oertli, Sydney, Australia

Matthias:

In addition to changing the size to either *NOMAX or some bigger number,
as appropriate, does the file in question have a lot of deleted records?
If so, you may want to do a RGZPGM to clean out the deleted records. Or,
if your processing doesn't use relative record numbers at all on that
file, set the file to reuse deleted records. Deleted records do count
against the total.

--
Francis Lapeyre                    flapeyre@communique.net
"The probability of life originating from accident is

Prof. Edwin Conklin

****** If you spam me, you will incur the wrath of your Internet **
****** Service Provider. I KNOW who you REALLY are!!***************

Opinions are my own. Otherwise, they are someone else's.