  • Subject: Re: What after Year2000
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 22:32:05 -0400 (EDT)

Chris, et al,

<<snip>>
> Clerks changing dates on invoices is a realistic consideration about how
>  some problems will be dealt with.

Much has been written about Y2K in the USA, along with ancillaries regarding
Europe at large as Y2K conflicts with the Eurodollar's introduction.  I tend
to discount the Eurodollar impact, as these countries have been dealing
electronically with mixed currencies for decades.  What DOES concern me is
the impact of Y2K in the former Soviet republics.  The latter cannot pay
pensions and government salaries NOW, how in the world are they going to put
forth a substantive Y2K effort?  What will happen when this effort fails?
 Most of "the best and brightest" in the computer industry of the former
Soviet Bloc have already moved to more lucrative jobs abroad.

Will their weapons remain stable?  Are their encryption codes for military
use date-based?  Can their already fragile economies survive Y2K?  The West
is barely avoiding conflict (can you say, "Bosnia"?) in a wholly unstable
Eastern economy.  The latter were old "cold war" analogies (and I shudder to
realize that there are actually people that would take them seriously as a
whole), but an economy totally collapsed by Y2K issues would be fertile
ground for an insane nationalist to take power.  Pure conjecture and somewhat
paranoic, but food for thought.  Germany wasn't doing so well when Hitler
took power...

Any knowlegeable insight (Dave?) would be appreciated.

Just a Thought,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM

"There is no such thing as a non-working mother." -- Hester Mundis