  • Subject: Re: Hoow to end an OPM RPG program as a VCP
  • From: "Greg Thielen" <gregt@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 97 11:34:59 -0700

Bob,

On Sat, 07 Jun 1997 07:42:56 -0700, Bob Larkin wrote:

>Using an OPM RPG program as a VCP for the CHGJOB command. When certain
>conditions are met, a CPD0006 message is sent using the SNDPGMMSG API,
>followed by a CPF0002 *Escape message. Probllllem is that the CPF0002
>causes  the program to end, but does not close the program. If user
>attempts another CHGJOB command in the same session, program acts as if
>a RETRN with LR *Off had been used to end the prior instance of the
>program.

This is the down side of using RPG to send an escape message.  You'll
also find that after setting LR on and sending an escape message, the
next time the program is called, it will end immediately.  This is
because:

1) RPG uses static storage.

2) LR was set on, but an escape message causes an immediate end to
the program.  This does not allow RPG to completely close down.

3) Since the program's static storage is still "active", LR is still
on when the program is called again.  Because the RPG cycle checks
for LR before doing the "real work" of your program (i.e. total
time), it ends.

The bottom line is that you really should use at least a CL shell
around your RPG VCP program, and have CL send the escape message
after the RPG program ends normally.