  • Subject: Re: Virtual Pass-through
  • From: Neil Palmer <NPalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 22:58:34 -0400

Tom McArthur wrote:

> We are having difficulty trying to use Client Access (V3R1M2 w/
> SF39669) to "virtually pass-through" to other 400s in our network.
> The PCs are using CAT5 twisted pair, w/ a direct connection (no
> 5x94).
>
> Is there an OS/400 version limitation for virtual pass-through? I
> suspect this because we can successfully use virtual pass-through
> between an F70 at V3R1 and a 530 at V3R7. When we try to connect to a
> pre-V3R1 box (one is V2R3 and the other is V3R0M5?) we get a "license
> system xxxxxxx not available" error from CA.

That's telling you the target system does not have 5763XA1 CA/400 Base
code installed.
By virtual pass-through do you mean ability to connect directly to
another 400 (other than your managing system), or connection VIA your
managing system (similar to ADRS entry in old Basic/Extended DOS PC
SUpport) ?

> Also, can CA virtually pass-through to an AS/400 that doesn't have
> the 5763XD1 (Client Access) product at all? In other words, CA is on
> the PC, but not on the 400 that we want to virtually pass-through to.

Yes - you can definitely do this.  I'm using CA/400 for Win 95/NT V3R1M2
with a V3R2M0 with 5763XD1 installed as the managing system.
Connection is native TCP/IP.
              -------------

I can open a PC5250 session to my V3R1M0 systems that do not have
5763XD1 installed.  BUT they DO have the 5763XA1 (CA/400 Base code)
installed and must be running the Host Servers job (STRHOSTSVR) that was
introduced at V3R1M0 (check GO LICPGM, take option 11, see if the OS/400
Host Servers shows as installed.  If not, install and add STRHOSTSVR
*ALL to startup program).

Note:  5763XD1 V3R1M2 changes the way you establish a native TCP/IP
PC5250 session to an AS/400.  At V3R1M1 and earlier the target 400
needed only to be running the TCP Telnet server.  At V3R1M2 it now
actually runs the AS/400 Connections job to first establish a connection
to the 400 (which causes your first session initiation to take a little
longer) and you must enter an id/password for the login server.  (You
still need the TCP/IP Telnet server running).

I believe with V3R7 (and V3R2?) the base components of CA/400 are
distributed as part of OS/400 so you no longer need to purchase CA/400
to establish a connection.  So you should consider upgrading those
machines to the current releases.

Your circumvention at present is to open a session to one of the
V3R1/R2/R6/R7 machines, then STRPASTHR or TELNET to the pre-V3 (& V3R0M5
- which is really just V2R3 with a new name) systems.

--
... Neil Palmer                                      AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology -Canada       ____________          ___  ~