  • Subject: Re: Virtual Pass-through
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 22:30:42 -0400 (EDT)

Tom,

> We are having difficulty trying to use Client Access (V3R1M2 w/
>  SF39669) to "virtually pass-through" to other 400s in our network.
>  The PCs are using CAT5 twisted pair, w/ a direct connection (no
>  5x94).
>
>  Is there an OS/400 version limitation for virtual pass-through? I
>  suspect this because we can successfully use virtual pass-through
>  between an F70 at V3R1 and a 530 at V3R7. When we try to connect to a
>  pre-V3R1 box (one is V2R3 and the other is V3R0M5?) we get a "license
>  system xxxxxxx not available" error from CA.
>
>  Also, can CA virtually pass-through to an AS/400 that doesn't have
>  the 5763XD1 (Client Access) product at all? In other words, CA is on
>  the PC, but not on the 400 that we want to virtually pass-through to.

There might be an OS/400 limitation now, but I somehow doubt that.  Years
ago, we used CA (then PC/Support) to connect to an E10 running 2.3, a B70
running 2.1, a D40 (via T-1) running 2.2, and a 5362 running SSP 5.  Never a
problem.

I now use NetSoft's NS/Portfolio via ASYNCH to connect to a 310 on 3.1, a 320
running the same, an F50 running 3.2, and a 530 running 3.7.  In either case,
the package will run as long as your configuration is set up correctly.  Your
"pass-through" statement is somewhat confusing.  How are you attempting to
"virtually pass-through"?

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM

"I think of life as a good book.  The more you get into it, the more it
begins to make sense." -- Harold S. Kushner