  • Subject: Re: Remote connectivity
  • From: Neil Palmer <NPalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:42:15 -0400

David Gibbs wrote:

> At 09:47 AM 6/11/97 -0700, ekempter@best.com wrote:
> >Is it possible to connect to the AS/400 remotely via the ECS modem
> >line (or other line) utilizing a standard communications package such as
> >Procomm or PCAnywhere?  Is additional software or hardware required
> >other than then OS/400 and modems?  Please advise.
>
> You can certianly use an ASYNC workstation controller to do this.  The '400
> supports VT100 emmulation.

With V3R2 or V3R7 you could configure a TCP/IP SLIP dial in connection,
and change the ECS modem config to Async and dial in with standard PC
comm software configured for a SLIP connectiop using that comm port -
BUT you will need to change modem config back to standard SYNC config to
use it for IBM ECS use again.

Suggest you either:

- Go with an ASCII workstation controller

- Get a separate comm port/modem if you decide to go with Slip
connection

- If you want to go nuts, you could connect your 400 to the internet and
then run CA/400, Rumba, etc. over a TCP/IP connection by dialling your
PC into a internet service provider.  (Not really recommending this
based on what you asked, just pointing it out as another option).

- You could get a Protocol Converter like IBM's old (used market only)
5208 - or the new 5308 (available as 2 port or 7 port model, you        can
get the 2 port with built in modems), OR a similar product              from
Perle
or other suppliers.  These let you dial in using standard PC software
like Procomm etc. the same as you would to an ASCII workstation
controller.  The Protocol Converter connects to the 400 via Twinax.  You
CAN'T run PC Support/CA/400 over protocol converters.
(The IBM 5308's include an ASCII terminal emulation program with
standard 5250 keyboard emulation).

- You may want to look at the Clip5250 Twinax modem (built in US
Robotics 33.6Kbps modem, and the modem attaches to the 400 via TWINAX).
Check out ads in Midrange Systems, or set your PC comm  software to 8
bits, Parity None, DTR/CTS control ON, Line Wrap ON, and dial in to
1-888-828-CLIP to check it out.  e-mail config@magnet.ca for info.
(I have no financial interest whatsoever in this product, and no
relationship with the company that sells them).

PS - These last two options (Protocol converter or Clip-5250) could also
be connected to a remote workstation controller (eg. 5294/5394/5494) at
a remote location, to take advantage of your existing network to save
long distance dialling into your AS/400.
You can also use them on a S/36.

--
... Neil Palmer                                      AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology -Canada       ____________          ___  ~