  • Subject: Token Ring Horrors
  • From: "Rushdi A. Ariss" <rasmu1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 14:20:54 -0700

Hi!

We have a token ring network (16 mb/s) with our AS/400 and about 40 PCs
connected to it.  The MAUS are IBM 8228s, and we run a combination of
UTP and STP cables.

Recently, we have been experiencing a great deal of congestion,
beaconing, and overall havoc on the network.  It got so bad that we had
to re-ipl the AS/400!

Now the question:  What tools are available on the AS/400, short of
buying a sniffer, which will help me check the health of our network.
We may have a bad MAU, because a majority of the PCs reporting problems
are connected to the same MAU, but how do I check?  I have an Andrew 16
Port UTP MAU ( which is supposed to be 8228 compatible) and the rest are
8228s.  I believe my problems stem from the Andrew MAU, but without
replacing it, I'm not sure.

Also, has anyone tried using two different brands of MAUs within the
same ring?  I was told during my Novell training that one should never
mix different MAUs, but I fail to see why.  Help!!!

Thanks in advance!
--
Rushdi A. Ariss
I. S. Manager