<< Subj:        Re: Y2K
 Date:  97-05-30 00:47:01 EDT
 From:  HankHeath@aol.com
 Sender:        mcsnet!midrange.com!midrange-l-owner@Mcs.Net
 To:    MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

 Dave Kahn - Tengizchevroil, Kazakstan, wrote:

 >> I think another take on this is that IT managers are having to go to
their

 board and say we need to spend so many hundred thousand dollars and shelve
 90% of development over the next 2 years just to survive. However, by
 updating the technology and replacing the applications, for a similar cost
 we can move ahead to, say, client/server earlier than we otherwise would
 have, survive the century change, and at least show some concrete gain for
 an unavoidable expenditure.<<

 I think if I was upper management in a situation like that, I would start
 looking for the three card Monte player in the IS department, and get rid of
 him. The logic is suspect from a corporate management point of view, IMHO.

 Hank Heath
 (As humble as ever) >>

I thought we were doing that already as we developed the solutions we have
and followed the rules and did not fix Year 2000 problems way back when.

Academic - as the Operating Systems, Compilers ....  did not support it
anyway; until recently; when Deep Blue and others heard the wake up call as
did the rest of us. Difference is, blue has made some progress in several
areas others(Us chaps & lasses) have muddled around discussing if it is
better done manually or how to beat or cheat the system or how the CEO will
bash us for this if we tell the details .

The problem is many fold and  all are involved - manufacturer  IT  Department
and Corporate Management.  It would be nice if in the interest of progress
everyone forgot the prayers of a Silver Bullet no effort by man fix and get
down to work.  Others feel Tools are a waste and they can do it better faster
cheaper and more accurately then an automated toolset.

I fail to think the government will offer and forgiveness or welfare relief
on this matter either.  According to the  lastest Law Journals the attorneys
are lining up for the legal  cases they will be flooded with as 2000
approaches.  Do you have you seat reserved  in the court room?

Not even FASB will change their accounting rules and let you spread the cost
over several years.  That is for improvements!

(/ Soap box Off)