  • Subject: RE: 5250 Emulation, Win95 PC to S/36
  • From: jdraper@xxxxxxx (Jerry Draper)
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 16:06:54 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry, just noticed that your are talking S36.  If it has an AS400 (AS36)
side then the following applies.  If it is a stock S36 then you are more
limited.  S36 only supports APPC over tokenring (or ethernet via SNA Server
over tokenring to S36).  Otherwise, you will have to go vanilla LU 4/7
twinax on Win95 (dumb disp/prtr).  I don't know of any SDLC under Win95.

>Most all APPC products run over any physical connection if they have the
>right router.  Not all routers support all links.
>
>I think that Synapse (www.synapse.com) has a very good product in their
>WinAPPC.  They have a twinax bundle with their zero footprint technology (no
>IRQ, DMA, shrRAM, DOS TSR).  However, the software will run on any twinax
>card.
>
>They also have an SDLC bundle for synchronous connections.  However, I favor
>the Hayes autosync for dialup into the sync comm lines instead of an SDLC
>card although it is not appropriate in leased line situations.
>
>Tech support is free, updates are free, you get both 16bit and 32bit versions.
>
>>>Anyone using a 5250 emulation product on a Windows 95 PC to a S/36 or
>>>Advanced/36 ?
>>>
>>>Twinax and SDLC connections both required (but could be two different
>>>products).
>>>
>>>If you are using such a product can you comment on how you like it.
>>>Is it a native Windows 95 product.
>>>What emulation cards (twinax and SDLC/MPCA) are required (ie. IBM cards,
>>>IBM compatible, or specific card required for the product).
>>>
>>>If using SDLC what modem do you use on PC side ?

Jerry

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Andrew, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com