Message text written by INTERNET:MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
>Hi
   In the application we are using there are many CLPs with FMTDTA. now we
are planning to change all these instants by OPNQRYF statement. We donot
know much about FMTDTA(..Especially the sort specifications used..). Can
anybody let us know how to go about with it.
Thanx in advance.
Rajee thomas
Ambarish R. Bagali.
Sriven Computer Soln.
Hyderabad - India
<

Rajee;
I guess you got a converted S/36 system eh?    First analysis your data base and
determine which files you will Querying most often.  Find  what your predominate
sorts(order by's) are that you will be using via OPNQRYF .  Then create some
Logical Files by those keys (NO select/Omits in the LF's)

Now convert the FMTDTA (which used the S/34-S/36 sort spec's)  to the OPNQRYF's.
The reason to go to the trouble of creating the LF's first (if they do not
exist)  is that the OPNQRYF's will run much quicker.   And they can be used
INSTEAD of the FMTDTA in some cases(where a simple order by is needed).

You may find that you may use the logical in the program alot of the time by
itself.
Creating the LF's will hopefully save the OPNQRYF from having to build indexes a
good percentage of the time.

John P. Carr  CDP
EdgeTech
5921 Acorn Ridge CT.   Midlothian VA. 23112
74711.77@compuserve.com
Ph.  804-739-7689    Fax 804-739-7950