  • Subject: RPG/ILE indirect addressing
  • From: "Andre Nortje" <andre.nortje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 22:21:31 +0200
  • Comments: Authenticated sender is <an000004@pixie.co.za>

Can you use indirect addressing for field and array names in ILE?

Consider the following:

I am writing a spreadsheet program, each line representing an array,
8 fields x 12 periods = 72 elements.

The array names, and the spreadsheet is defined as a compile time
table, with the array name and the description, with control
character, i.e. New page, Single underline, Double underline, Total,

Source layout is:
1 - 1 Control, i.e. H=Hdg, S=Single underline, D=Double, T=Total
2 - 2 blank
3 - 6 array name, if Control=T
7 - 7 blank
8 - 37 description for total line
38 - 38 blank
39 - 39 2, for 2 decimal positions
40 - 40 blank
41 - 60 Array containing reporting codes to summarize amounts to.

The logic reads the data base file, add amounts to array depending on the
codes in the data base file.

A work array, 8 x 12 = 72, is calculated before added to the array on
the report.

I want to LOKUP using report code, get the array name, then add the
work array to the array, indirectly addressed by the index of the line
containing
the codes.

I.E. add work array to array who contains the codes valid for the
report line.

Then I can add any lines to the report, define the arrays, and
change the number of entries in the compile time array, and use
indirect addressing to perform the calcs.

The program will create 2 arrays from the compile time table, before
reading the data base file:

     Report code array: 200 x 3 alpha
     Array to add to      200 x 4 alpha.

The report / spreadsheet is user defined once, with report line
calculations, i.e. Line10 = sum(line1 to line 9), etc.