Charlie

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with Hank. The client I've been working
with for the last 2-3 years is using RPGIV (I've most likely had a big
impact on that decision) for all new development.  We are using option
14 (CRTBNDRPG) with default activation group.  We are using Timestamps
and Time & Date data types in all files(To LLEH with the performance)

As for the other shops in Richmond VA most fall under Hanks observation.
We have a couple of BIG shops that I believe typlifies alot of shops.
They have numerous AS/400's some CISC some RISC, All with "Heritage Systems"
that they chose to stay consistent with.  This means NOTHING NEW. However
a consultant (using a strategy you told her, has persuaded one of them to start
using
RPGIV option 14)

Thats why I have to laugh at our friends in Toronto & Rochester when for
instance they won't give us the ability to OVERLAY at the Data Structure
name level because they say we can do the same thing using Based Variables
 via Pointers.   And I say 85-90 % of the shops I've seen wouldn't know
a based variable or a Procedure in RPGIV if they saw it. I'd like to know
the percent of shops that are routinely using Import/Export.

 (Having said that, You know how much I'm in favor of and have fought for
those new functions in the language .)

The idiosyncracies of using named activation groups when you have
a mixture of OPM and ILE in the same stack,  And the "Neat" things
that the system does with error control logic under that scenerio
has kept (I believe) alot of people from experimenting or mixing their apps.

I'd be interested to hear your results.

John P. Carr  CDP
EdgeTech

P S (when are you comming to town again? I was on the road when you were
here last. Sorry we couldn't have gotten together)

RE:     Re: Is anyone using ILE?

>The guy in the cowboy hat asked:

>> I am curious how many people are actually using ILE to develop their
   applications.  I have several questions <<

>> Are you using RPG IV or ILE COBOL?  If so, are you just experimenting or
    are you developing all of your new code in RPG IV or ILE COBOL? <<

>In the shops that I have seen, the answer is "no" and "no." Most of the
>programmers, with whom I have discussed this issue, are of the opinion that
>ILE is just a "fancy" form of the languages with no discernible advantages
>for them. I know, I know - they are ignorant fools, but they are following
>Maslow's premise that a person who has a hammer as a tool sees all problems
>as a nail.

<snip>

>The answers to these are obvious in view of the first answer. One point that
>I want to add is that the "progressive" shops in Philadelphia are just
>starting to embrace embedded SQL in their RPG and COBOL programs. Of course,
>these same shops are running on V3R1 or - begrudgingly - V3R2. This is not to
>say the Philadelphia is a backwater by any means. The shops that I have
>visited are battle weary. They have been beaten up so solidly by bleeding
>edge technology that they are happy to follow a couple of years behind the
>current leading edge to see what shakes out.

>Perhaps you should conduct a COMMON session on trailing edge techniques. It
>might be fascinating to see the turnout.

>> I'll try to tabulate the results of this survey.  Thanks in advance for
    your responses.