  • Subject: Re: Dialup Solution to AS/400 Needed
  • From: PaulMmn <PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 00:42:09 -0400

At 07:20 AM 5/6/97 -0700, Rushdi wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I'm trying to setup a good dialup solution to our AS/400.  We currently
>own an ASCII workstation controller, but have not configured it because
>of the relatively slow speeds available (9.6kbs).  I an using CA400 for
>Win95 on our LAN based network, and would like to use the Async version
>for the dialups.
>
>Any suggestions?  I would like to have a "dependable" connection of at
>least 14.4 kbs.

We've connected a Perle Systems 394e controller (with 5 ASCII cards) to a
comm line on our AS/400.  The AS/400 sees the 394e controller as a remote
location with 5 controllers (in a multi-point configuration).  The 394e and
5 cards allows up to 20 connections at once (we're only using about 6 right
now) using the proprietary PERLETALK program.

PERLETALK is a plain but good program that allows your PC using
DOS/WIN3.1/WIN95 (using the DOS version) to bring up a 5250 emulation screen
and a printer session over a dial up link.  Speed is limited by the speed of
the modems you hang off of the 20 comm ports on the back of the 394e's ASCII
cards.

There is a Win/3.1 version of PERLETALK, but the upgrade from the DOS to WIN
version would cost too much.

On the user side, we've produced an installation manual that step-by-steps
the user through the installation process, including Win 3.1 and 95
installations.  When they bother to read them, complete computer illiterates
can successfully install the Perletalk program on their PCs and connect to
our AS/400.

We currently have 200 user licenses for PERLETALK, and are rapidly
approaching that limit for dial in users.  We're supporting them with 6
toll-free and 3 local dial-in lines.  This has been adequate for our load
(ie we haven't had a lot of complaints about busy signals).

Configuring the Perle 394e and the ASCII cards is hell-on-wheels until you
grasp the concepts of how the things work.  (The terminology Perle chose
does not always correspond to AS/400 terminology, which adds to the confusion.)

We re-set (power off/on) all of the remote comm hardware (modems, Perle 394e
and 3i controllers, and 5208 protocol converter) on a daily basis.  We have
problems with people hanging up (or being disconnected) in the middle of
sessions, which leaves devices hanging on the AS/400 side, and the Perle
doesn't always detect the disconnect.

When users follow the rules and have a chance to sign off properly,
everything works fine.

All in all, we're satisfied.  Any upgrade will be to an Internet-type
connection once we move to an TCP/IP internal network.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com