  • Subject: Re: Can I dial to a NT server with RAS and then connect to AS/400 via CAWIN 95???
  • From: David Vella <dvella@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 12:45:18 -0400

Stanley.

Although I don't have NT with a RAS server, I have VAX/VMS with a terminal
server.  I dial into the terminal server and make a slip connection to the
network (presumably you would make a PPP connection with RAS).  From there I
can start a TN5250 or TN3270 session with the emulator of my choice, or do
likewise with FTP and LPD.  Although I haven't tried it, you could possibly
start the CA Anynet router (SNA over TCP/IP) and use your favourite APPC
applications.  Has anyone done this?

d.v.

P.S. Is this the Stanley Tang from North Albion Collegiate?

At 19:11 97.05.02 -0400, Stanley Tang wrote:
>We have 5 token ring LANs connected via 2 IBM6611 routers.  There is an
>AS/400 running V3R2 on the first ring and a NT Server running 4.0 on the
>third ring.  We are using IPX, TCP/IP and DLC on the LANs.
>
>Now we want to provide remote access for users so that they can dial in from
>home to access all the network resources such as AS/400, Novell servers and
>NT servers.  We want the NT server to act as the only point of entry.
>Therefore, we do not want users to dial in the AS/400 directly.
>
>My questions are:
>
>        1.      If we set up RAS on the NT server, can users dial in from
>home and then access the AS/400 using Client Access for Windows 95?
>
>        2.      If it is possible, what kind of protocol do I need at the PC
>and the AS/400?  Do I have to use TCP/IP?  Can I use MSDLC?
>
>        3.      If Client Access for Windows 95 cannot do the job, are there
>any other products that can do the job?
>
>I am looking forward to hearing your good news.  Thanks a million.
>
>Stanley Tang

>umidr

*       David Vella                             * The opinions
*       Computer Systems Administrator          * expressed are
*       The Canadian Surety Co.                 * my own, and not
*       Toronto, On., Canada                    * those of
*       416-487-7195 x343                       * Canadian Surety.
*       dvella@cscw.com                         *