Dave Mahadevan wrote:

> Carl Galgano wrote:
> >
> > I just got off the phone with my friendly hardware/software vendor.  I was
> > inquiring on a price to upgrade my E04 from V2R3 to V3R2.  After I got up
> > off the floor I verified that I did hear hime correctly that the price would
> > be over $9000 for 5 users!!!!
> >
> > We are a very small company and have a RISC model 400 running V3R6 (release
> > 7 is sitting in the box ready to be installed) so we have little incentive
> > to spend that much money for the upgrade.  The only real function I want
> > with the new realease for the "white" box is TCP/IP untilities.
> >
> > Could this really be true??  Is IBM crazy or am I just being pennywise &
> > pound foolish???  Is there any other alternative???  I have tried to order
> > the TCP/IP utilities for V2R3 and was told they are not available anymore.
> > How much do you guys with BIG systems pay for the upgrade.
> >

> There you go again questioning IBM's motives in pricing.  You should be
> glad that they are not charging by zip code!.  Seriously, one of the
> reasons users are not upgrading hardware is because of the grouping.
> For example, P20 group covers F35, F45, 300, 135, 140, 500, 53S.  P30
> covers F50, F60, F70, 310, 510.  P40 covers F80, F90, F95, 320, 530.  If
> you are in the P20 group base charge for OS/400 is $4000 + $400 per
> user.  P30 base charge for OS/400 is $10,000 plus $400 per user.  P40
> group is $25,000 plus $400 per user.   So, if you get a good deal on
> upgrading your F35 to F80 for say $10000, you also will write a check to
> IBM for $21,000 (25,000 - 4,000).  As you see, this effectively prevents
> people from moving across processors unless they are willing to shell
> out the extra bucks.  Justifying this to your management may take a
> while!.  I guess IBM's philosophy is since hardware is getting
> inexpensive, they can at least benefit in the software upgrades!
>
> Go figure! :-))
>

> --
> Thank You.
>
> Regards
>
> Dave Mahadevan.. mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net

>These prices are PURCHASE prices NOT upgrade prices...In many cases, the newer
>machines speed rating will allow the user
to actually fall back into a lesser price group not a more expensive.
 The price for upgrades just recently increased 100% after over a
year of being announced.... so it's not like they didn't tell you..
Most customers either don't have the energy or the ability to keep up
with the MANY announcements from IBM but their business partner or
who ever they are currently doing business with should at least try to
keep them up to date... Having worked both sides of the street, I can
tell you, it's not easy for either party...