  • Subject: RE: communications
  • From: Jeff Magee <jmagee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 19:14:59 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From:   Gary Feinstein [SMTP:GFeinste@PlanetHollywood.com]
Sent:   Thursday, April 24, 1997 3:42 PM
To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

 << File: ATT00002.txt; charset = gb2312 >>

Gary,

In answer to your question:
To attatch to your AS/400 with Async modems, you need an ASCII WSC. The WSC has
the buffering and workstation support capabilities that are not available if
you merely configure a comm line to do async communications. If you were to use
SDLC dial solution you will need to install a remote WSC in each PC, not very
cost effective as you will still need an sync-capable modem (although some have
the modem integrated in the remote card). Another solution may be to use SLIP
on a comm line. SLIP will allow a TCP/IP connection to the 400, but the
performance is mediocre, and you must be running V3R2 or R7 (CICS or RISC) to
perform this. CA/400 is used on the PC end and the SLIP support only ships on
the CDROM for CA/400. I've set many of these up and my advise is to bite the
bullet and use the ASCII WSC. You also will require a null modem cable, they
can be purchased through IBM direct for about $100 each. For $10 I make a
jumper box and use a standard serial cable to the modem at the host end. If you
need the pin-outs and config settings please contact me directly @
jmagee@tri-delta.com.
HTH

application/ms-tnef