  • Subject: Re: Business Continuity Plan
  • From: Petemass@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:49:51 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-04-24 03:52:14 EDT, Paul writes:

 We're a relatively small AS/400 shop and we don't have a contract with a
 disaster recovery service. However, we outsource much of our RPG
 programming and have an understanding with them that they could quickly
 get us a system to use in the event we have a disaster. We keep an
 off-site copy of a full backup of the '400 and rotate it out weekly. The
 on-site backups are kept in a fireproof (and heatproof I hope!!) file
 cabinet. We looked at disaster recovery centers but found them to be too
 expensive for our needs.   Paul >>

   Have you ever tried to restore, not just a file or library but your
system.  If you have not done this, how do you know you have everything
backed up.  We go into a lot of accounts that tell us about how good their
backup strategies are, yet when we look at their methodologies we find they
are not backing up user profile changes except once a quarter (when they do
their SAVSYS), or they do selective backups of libraries each night and
someone added a new production library a while back which is not getting
backed up (they rely on a list of libraries to backup, as opposed to a
SAVCHGOBJ of all libraries).   One other thing we find is a lot of people
forget about backing up the new Intergrated File System (Version 3).

    If you are unsure of what to backup, or not familiar with what commands
back what up on your system, you can always enter "GO SAVE" select option
"21" which will save your entire system.

HTH

Pete Massiello