  • Subject: Re: Fw: AutoSynch Dial up to AS/400.
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:24:05 -0400 (EDT)

Frank,

> > Hi Folks,
>  >
>  > I have a small problem at the moment, we have purchased PCMCIA modems
for
>  > our Noteooks.
>  > We got the PSION Gold Card V34 AutoSynch variety. We want to use these
for
>  > Synchronous dial-up to our AS/400.
>  > We have tried to use the Netsoft Router Ver 5.11 but it does not have an
>  > option specifically for the PSION card.
>  > We have had no luck setting this up and we have had problems with the
>  > Netsoft Router recognising the Card.

NetSoft and I are about to "go a few rounds" over asynchronous communication.
 I LOVE their products when locally attached, but have had nothing but
problems with ASYNCH over Win 3.1, Win '95, and NT Workstation.  If America
Online, which hasn't made as much off of me in the last 3 years as NetSoft
did in my initial purchase (and I've purchased an N/S upgrade since) can
support all of the modems I have in my house then why can't NetSoft?

I WAS more successful with the 5.11 product.  If you go to their web site
(www.netsoft.com) and look under modems for your product, there is a modem
initialization string that it says to try if your modem is not listed.  This
worked fairly well with my Logicode Quicktel modem.  I realize that some of
the problems originate from your version of NS/Router as compared to your
version of OS/400 and the modems installed on each end.  I've actually called
the /400 manually and gotten the brief carrier tone followed by the beeps
that sound like someone dying on a television hospital monitor.  However, I
get the feeling that ASYNCH is the "red-headed step-child" at NetSoft, and
that getting (useful) help is not easy.

>  > Has anyone sucessfully set up this type of configuration with different
>  > software ??

I've not used the PSION cards, but am having similar problems on my NT
machine (for which the modem shouldn't be an issue, as it is
auto-configured).  Are you having the following problems:

1.  Can't quite put your finger on it, but the software doesn't seem to
behave the same way (window positions, order in which it displays things,
order in which it asks for things) between boots?  One behavior in this
instance seems to give you more success than the other?

2.  Do you get a strong connect with the modem, followed by a "Busy",
"Unavailable", or "No Answer" (or perhaps a rotation of the three) from
NS/Router?

3.  Do you get a strong connect followed by a "beep, beep, beep" that
eventually trails off into oblivion followed (a LOT later) by an
"Unavailable" message from the router?

>  > Any Reccomendations ???

I don't know.  I'm calling them tomorrow to try and hash this out.  If you'd
like to add YOUR observations, I'd be glad to include them in my questions.

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." --
Sir Winston Churchill