  • Subject: Re: FW: OS/400 upgrades for CISC
  • From: Chris Rehm <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:08:23 GMT

Dave said:

> What irritates me is the cavalier attitude IBM takes towards their CISC
> customers.  Is there an announcement anywhere (official IBM), which says
> CISC is DEAD?  Is there an official announcement that V3R2 is the last
> release for CISC? nooooooo.  and then you get a form letter from an
> assistant to the GM who simply sends it out to anybody who mentions V3R2
> in their note!

I think you are putting a little extra into what is going on. I don't think
IBM takes their CISC base lightly. However, it might not be handy for
Zeitler to respond to all of his emails himself. I imagine he has a lot of
things to do, and 500,000 installs could possibly generate a lot of email.

Sometimes market realities make it hard to do anything about the problem. No
matter how much IBM might want to "kiss butt" for the CISC users, the market
reality is that IBM has to trim margins and cut prices to compete in the
marketplace. If they don't, all of their customers face a shaky future.

>From a subjective viewpoint, it is always unpleasant to be left behind. But
if you want support from IBM you have to figure out how it is IBM's best
interest. It has to be profitable to support you or there is no reason for
IBM to do it.

On the other hand, your CISC based systems still do everything they could do
when you bought them. They have lost none of their features and none of
their functionality. Unless you purchased very recently, the machine does
MORE now than when you bought it. Your upset is that another line is
receiving better support. That is the direction of the AS/400.