  • Subject: Re: FW: OS/400 upgrades for CISC
  • From: Jromeh@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:21:30 -0400 (EDT)

Dean wrote...

<snip>
>You CANNOT stay current on old hardware!  Would you try to run
>Office '97 on a 286?  I don't think so (beside the point that you couldn't
>run a 32 bit application on a 16 bit machine, or maybe that IS the point).
<snip>

Well, no, I wouldn't, but I am writing this on a 1989 vintage Mac IIx
with current software, IOW uncluttered versions of the features Loose95
_finally_ delivered. It's a 16mhz 68030 with 8mb RAM doubled to 16mb, an
80 mb drive, a 45 mb SyQuest, and a single-speed! CD-Rom drive. Kind of
slow, but it handles email, wp, etc. just fine while I shop for a new Mac.

My notebook finally expired after four years of indiscriminate road
bashing. Never have seen a (non-IBM) PC notebook stand up to 1/10th as
much, their owners seem to treat them like china or pay the price.

Some vendors _have_ historically valued forward and backward
compatibility more than others, and will continue to do so. Both
Rochester and Apple have taken this seriously. Now if they could just get
those "expensive" signs removed from around their necks. Cheap <> good.
Repeat after me: Total cost ownership cost vs. value provided, total
ownership cost vs. value provided...

The only reason to shop based on purchase price alone is an inability to
compare the value provided by the competitors. In the end, "Checklist"
shopping pleases only accountants.

Soon to be on a new PPC (604, hopefully),

Jerome Hughes               jromeh@aol.com
InterPro Consulting, Inc.   http://www.interproinc.com
Rosemont IL USA             these are my own opinions only

A man with a new idea is always a crank,
until the idea succeeds. -- Mark Twain

Thanks for the Jibber-jabber, Cindy! -- JH