  • Subject: Re: Fw: AutoSynch Dial up to AS/400.
  • From: jdraper@xxxxxxx (Jerry Draper)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:07:02 -0700 (PDT)

>We got the PSION Gold Card V34 AutoSynch variety. We want to use these for
>Synchronous dial-up to our AS/400.
>We have tried to use the Netsoft Router Ver 5.11 but it does not have an
>option specifically for the PSION card.
>We have had no luck setting this up and we have had problems with the
>Netsoft Router recognising the Card.
>
>Has anyone sucessfully set up this type of configuration with different
>software ??

I have made this one of my pet projects and found that there is much
latitude as to what is autosync and as to what works with the NS Router.
What's great about this strategy is that you can have one modem in your PC
and do all async (bbs, pc, internet) as well as get into the ECS line (or
any sync line) on an AS400.  It's great for IS folks that need backdoor
access and since asll AS400's have ECS lines you don't need to ask your
company or customer to buy anything on the AS400.

Autosync was developed by Hayes.  There is a level 1 (14.4) and a level 2
(28.8).

I have tested the following modems:

I have never heard of Psion.  I tested the following modems:

ok      Megahertz PCMCIA 14.4
ok      Megahertz PCMCIA 28.8

ok      Hayes PCMCIA 14.4
ok      Hayes PCMCIA 28.8

ok      Hayes internal 28.8
ok      Hayes external 28.8

fail    Hayes voice business modems (28.8 and 33.6); this is a big problem
because Hayes has abandoned all but this line of modems and they had the
only working autosync ISA or external modems.  Hayes and Netsoft are doing
the finger pointing thing and Netsoft has not developed autosync for their
32bit router.  I have a test going on right now with these modems that shows
some promise.

fail    Practical Periferals 28.8 internal (this is a Hayes company so it is
very weird that they don't work)

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Andrew, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com