  • Subject: Re: (Fwd) Computer Virus Warning, hoax...
  • From: Jim Welsh <jimwelsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:50:38 -0400

Don Stephen wrote:

> [...]

copied message from newsgroup...
Article 19 of 87

Subject:      Many reports of AOL4free Trojan. (probable urban legend)
From:         Dave Grisham <dave@unm.edu>
Date:         1997/04/11
Newsgroups:   bit.listserv.cumrec-l
[More Headers]

Recently, I have had many reports about a Trojan called aol4free.  This
urban legend is best described at the excellent Computer Virus Myths
page:
 http://kumite.com/myths/
I am cross-posting this message because, if I'm getting requests so are
many of you.  I hope this information is helpful.  The forum for the
aol4free reports has been chain e-mail.

I have a web page that sites many sources about real threats and hoaxes.
http://www.unm.edu/cirt/irc/svcs/security/notification.html

Cheers. --grish
   Dr. David D. Grisham, Security Admin. Phone (505) 277-8032 FAX
277-8101
   Computer & Information Resources & Technology  Internet dave@unm.edu
   Univ. of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131  http://www.unm.edu/~dave

just another hoax, folks...