Algebra example on 3-byte strings:

DCL DD A CHAR(3) INIT(X"876543");
DCL DD B CHAR(3) INIT(X"CCCCCC");
DCL DD C CHAR(3);
ADDLC C, A, B;

C is now X"54302F"

Ignore any carry out of the leftmost bit position,
although an optional extender can test if carry out occured:

ADDLC(I) C, A, B / ZC(FLAG);     // zero with carry
ADDLC(I) C, A, B / NTZNTC(FLAG); // not-zero with no carry
ADDLC(I) C, A, B / ZNTC(FLAG);   // zero with no carry
ADDLC(I) C, A, B / NTZC(FLAG);   // not-zero with carry