From: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Burns, Bryan
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:13 AM
To: mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [MAPICS-L] ITEMASA and PartSmart (or other Electronic Parts Catalogs)

As a manufacturer, we deliver some 50,000 ITEMASA descriptions for service parts to electronic parts catalog integrators (ARI, Pathfinders, etc.) but the ITEMASA descriptions don't always fit into the context of the parts catalog and its "Where Used" function. Therefore our PartSmart administrator has to tweak them and, as a result, he would like me to tailor all our 50,000 service part item descriptions specifically for PartSmart, using the most generic descriptions possible.

For example, let's say we have an ITEMASA ITDSC of "HANDLE, 225 SERIES" but it was also used on a discontinued low volume 224 series unit. A "where used" in PARTSMART will show both usages and there'd be confusion as to whether it's the right handle.

I get that, but on the MAPICS side of things, having just "HANDLE" show up on a report when we could have 400 handles doesn't tell user the much. To exaggerate this example, we could just describe everything as "PART" to make it easy for the PartSmart administrator.

If you faced this type of thing before and have some suggestions, I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan Burns