Kent,

I know you are at R5.5, not R6, but this may help you. I recently completed
converting a little over 2000 "fringe programs" (to use your terms) as part of a
migration from R6 to R7.8 on a V5R4 system. The project plan was to come across
strictly "as-is", no changes to take advantage of any new capabilities available
in the newer version in order to simplify the upgrade. I spent a little under 3
months dedicated time doing the work (first 1/2 of the time limited to 26 hours
a week, the second 1/2 at 40 hours a week). The shop uses COM (with extensive
use of the Offline Shipping Enhancement), COM_Net, IM, EPDM, PCC/PMC, MDCC,
Purchasing/Procurement, A/R, A/P, F/A (yuck), G/L, MRP, and MPSP. There are
very few true "changes" to XA at the shop, mostly just reporting format changes
(pick lists in IM and COM, and some in other apps) and addition of a new "user
exit" in IM Order Release in the AMIPHF process.

The shop used offline loads extensively, as well as MDCC for shop floor data
collection and control. The only things that did not come across cleanly
(defined as simply recompiling to the new file structures) was the COM offline
load - there are some minor changes there (new fields, and a new file). In
addition, we had to upgrade to the current version of PowerBuilder for MDCC (the
old version they were using was from 2003 and was no longer available). They
will also have to upgrade to the current version of COM_Net before going live
(due to the COM offline file changes).

The shop has delayed implementation ("financial hold on the project"), but it is
effectively complete except for some minor user training. I spent 3 weeks at
the very beginning creating the R7.8 environment "clean and empty", setting up
Link Manager for IDF (what Browser became), and determining what batch programs
were actually used (there were over 7000 objects to review that were in the R6
"fringe" library). All time after that was recompiling and testing to make sure
the objects executed cleanly.

Just to (hopefully) give you a little assistance on your project planning. The
migration tool and plan provided by Infor is quite easy to follow and use, once
you review everything and figure out what you actually need to do for the
process. I did five complete migrations during the project (to assist with
training).

Warning - make sure you allocate time to do a THOROUGH testing and compare of
MRP. There were a number of changes in MRP planning between R6 and R7.8 that
caused the system to provide different results with identical data between R6
and R7.8 - you will have to make sure all parameters are carefully reviewed.

Dale (Cork) Gindlesperger, CPIM