Actually, I'll disagree with Ron. Perhaps it was an unintentional
broad-brush answer, but I'll just set the record straight for my part.

Guy asked a question of this forum and admitted he knew almost nothing about
MAPICS because he was brand new to the system.
I'm not an out-of-work former affiliate, but I am an avid reader of this
digest and a regular (if not quite frequent) contributor of answers to
questions.
Rather than harvesting his email address, I happened to see his question and
the first several responses early in the morning California time (where I'm
quite gainfully employed, btw.). Guy had posted his phone number, from
which I guessed he was on Eastern time. Seeing that he was asking a more
complex question than could sensibly be explored and answered on here (as
was pointed out sometimes politely, sometimes not-so politely), I picked up
the phone and called him to offer my help. Not for money, just to be
helpful to a "new kid on the block", so to speak.
We talked it through to some extent and he did a test successfully in his
test environment and determined with his users to do some experimenting with
it in production.

I agree that they undoubtedly should have more help than an occasional email
forum can provide or even a dive-bomber phone call. But to suggest this
forum is nothing more than harvesting ground for underachieving trolls is
truly unfair to the person who asked an innocent question. AND it's
monumentally unfair to the many people who provide answers to questions on
here, never asking for nor expecting remuneration of any kind.

It's popular to suggest that was just generating good carma. But I think
I'll refer to a more traditional rule "Do unto others as you would have
others do unto you."
Whew, glad I got that off my chest.

Mike Ellis / ISI
815-398-1670

message: 4

date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:21:29 -0500
from: Ronald Kral <ronkral169@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [MAPICS-L] Product structure routings

bob and jeff:

perhaps a light bulb went off and guy finally came to realize that this
mapics discussion forum at midrange has become nothing more hover board for
out of work affiliates. guy is asking us for help and assistance into a
real
problem and you insult him because you were not able to get any easy
billable work out of him. the few surviving affiliates remind me of
overpriced day laborers lined up on the curb waiting for the pickup truck.
this discussion forum has become their $2000 per day marketing tool and
they
only need one or two suckers to fall for it.

guy, please report any affiliate or consultant that might have harvested
your email.

r.k.