Todd,

There is a built in feature for outside processing with XA. As of R6 you
can download a PTF that will give you this function (called Outside
Operations!). If you have applied the latest PCM's and are at the latest PTF
levels for R6 it should be there. R7, R7.5, R7.7 and R7.8 have this
function already included in the code.

You can access it from EWP (or god forbid: green screen) by navigating to
Production Control and Costing (PCC), then select the outside processing
menu. There are two menu options. The first option "Work with Outside
Operation Details" allows you to set up the relationship between your
production operation routings and outside processing vendors. The second
option "Work with Outside Operations Cross Reference" allows you to work
with active open outside operations.

Here are the basic setup tasks.

1. Create a production router that includes a properly defined outside
operation.

For example.

Operation Seq: 0010 OP Laser Cut & Shape Facility: OP001
Operation Seq: 0020 Inspection Facility: IP010
Operation Seq: 0030 Form on Brake Press Facility: 78343

On the outside operation: (as above operation 0010) set the time basis code
to "C" = Outside Processing. Be sure to put the piece part cost into the
outside operation cost field.

Enter the number of move days required to pack, ship, process, return ship,
and accept the operation.

2. Create a service item for the Outside Operation Laser Cut.

For example:

We are going to make a formed metal part number: 123456

The outside process item "number" will be "OP Laser Cut"

Be sure to set the inventory code to "3=Service" Also, you should enter a
purchase price, and default unit cost.

3. Be certain to have a vendor master record setup for the vendor that
provides the laser cut service.

4. Now you are ready to setup the defaults using the "work with outside
operations details"

Site: = Site ID for your production facility (assuming EPDM)
Vendor: the number of the vendor in step 3
Warehouse: the production facility warehouse ID
Finished Item Number: the item that will be produced on the Mfg. Order.
i.e. 123456
Revision: the revision id of the finished item number.
Routing ID: The id of the production router defined in step 1
Routing Version: the version of the routing defined in step 1
Service Item Number: the item created in step 2. i.e. OP Laser Cut
QTY/COST Update: Select the option that supports your costing and variance
calculations methods.
Preferred Vendor: Select the option that will default the preferred vendor.
P.O. Create at MO Release: Select the option that supports your processes.
(Just a personal note: if you don't select option 1 you are wasting a
tremendous opportunity at reducing non-value added time.)
Release Time Fence: Number of days in advance that you want to create the
PO
Lead Time Purchase: enter the number of days the vendor quotes. Note that
this should be part of the move days added to the operation as in step 1.
Lead Time Adjustment: enter the number of days to go from dock to stock.
Note in my example you would NOT include inspection time as that is a
separate operation.
Auto Release Code: Select the code that matches your business process.
Again I like #3
Operation Status Completed.....: Select the option that matches your
variance accounting.
Additional Descriptions to PO Comments: Select this to print your operation
additional descriptions on the PO (WOW!).

Now...

Release an MO for 123456 and watch as you automatically generate a PO to
your vendor for OP Laser Cut operations.

Note you must receive against the PO AND the MO operation to effect good
count control.

A note to all on the list: This actually solved my problem submitted two
weeks ago. I just had to create an alternate BOM to list only the supplied
parts to the vendor. PERFECT!

Kevin