Hi Weston,

I found this in my notes:

The TCP2617 errors typically occurs in the QSYSOPR message queue and in
the TQTCP/IP joblog when a connection to a remote host was abnormally
closed.
Reason code 2 is caused when the iSeries closes the connection to a remote
host when the retry threshold (this is the mysterious R2) defined in
CHGTCPA has been reached. TCP has retransmitted the same
packet R2 times (which is normally 16).
Then TCP has determined the connection has been lost and closes the
connection.

Now you want to know why the remote host is unreachable.
If the messages are constant and contain the same IP over and over again,
these can be caused by a WRITER trying to print to an IP printer which is
down or offline. The WRITER attempts to connect by sending SYN packets
which the remote host never responds to and the R2 threshold is reached.
Holding the WRITER will suppress the messages until
the problem with the printer is resolved.

In addition, you may choose to hide this message by changing the TCP
close connection message attribute with the CHGTCPA TCPCNNMSG(*NONE)
command.

---

First of all, IP addresses can be "hidden" behind
hostnames. Meaning you can refer to myhost.company.com
when actually this is IP address 192.168.1.100

The iSeries performs a lookup of hostnames in a local table
and/or DNS servers.

Take a look at your hosttable :

CFGTCP
option 10

and see if the particular IP address is defined here.

Secondly, you searched among your (printer) device
descriptions for the IP address, but a Remote output queue
can also contain an IP address.

perform

WRKWTR *ALL

for each "RMT" type device,
put "8" = Work with output queue
then press F21 = display output queue description
Page Down to see the "Remote system" parameter
and verify if it is IP Address 192.168.1.100

Hope this help you.

Antonio Rojas
Manager Applications Development
Semtech Corp.