This sounds much more reasonable that your original post.

-----Original Message-----
From: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Kevin Mann
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:19 AM
To: mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MAPICS-L] Source code costs

A rebuttal to Ross's comments;

As the originator of this post, I would like to again clarify a few
points. When I started using Mapics (Mapics II) the source code was
delivered free with your purchase of Mapics. I remember working for
other companies in the 90s when either Marcam or Mapics started charging
for source code. This was supposed to be a one time charge for source
code never to be charged again. The companies that I worked for during
that time had to purchase source code. Research, at my current company
shows that they purchased source code for Mapics XA in 1997. Source code
was provided for XA release 4 in 2004 and again after I arrived here in
2005 for release 7. There are people at Infor that have acknowledged to
me that we do indeed have the rights to the source code. In Ross's first
post he said that if you paid for it you should have it. I don't know
when the ALF for source came about, but I can not find anyone in my area
that had heard of it, including affiliates and former affiliates. We
were using a local affiliate in 2005 and 2006 while converting to
release 7. There was no mention of and no knowledge of ALF's at that
time.

I have no desire to modify more XA source code. I am only looking to
maintain what we are currently using, which unfortunately, is heavily
modified in some applications. In this instance I was looking for the
source code for an inventory tag print file to see if I could get it to
print on a laser printer. Source is also needed before I can apply a PTF
against a previously modified program. I can understand Infor being more
protective of their source code, but they must recognize the predicament
that they are putting long time customers like us in, if we can't apply
PTF's anymore.

As to Josh's comments;

This incident started with my starting inquiring to support when I could
not find the source code download. This was escalated to the point we
are at now which is talking with Infor management. The lawsuit that you
mention would be a last resort which I would hope doesn't happen. I made
my original post here only to notify others in my position that may have
been unaware of this change.

Note: I have had a conversation with someone in management with Infor's
support team this morning. This person is researching our situation and
will hopefully get back to me with some positive news.

Thanks,

Kevin