Jim,

Believe it or not you're asking a tough question.

Why - because many of us have been using MAPICS for a very long time,
and that presents two problems:
1. Our experience with other ERPS is limited and/or very dated.
2. Many of us work for conservative companies and our MAPICS implementation may not be what a new MAPICS customer would get today.

I know both are true for me. Although I work at another plant that uses QAD - character based. And another plant that uses Avante by Epicor.
So my QAD experience is not relevant, but I've seen the new version and it is slick. Avante is interesting, but I think it has a lot lacking on the backend and especially in the SOX arena.

Our MAPICS implementation heavily leverages Browser/Integrator, with and without external programming. We have done some really cool things with the product.

But what is very critical, I think, is your reference to injection molding and value added. That makes me think of formulas and batching that may not be a strong suit of MAPICS. Maybe others could comment on that?

You will also want to explore the web-enablement (supply chain / sales) side of MAPICS to make sure it includes what you need. I am lacking in this area, so I'm not the best to comment on the current product.

I very much like the MAPICS product (warts and all) and enjoy the stability of the 400. I feel that Browser/Integrator has made the users more self-sufficient, where other companies had to develop their own data warehouse just to look at their own data. Hmm, build a DB to analyze the contents of another DB - something weird about that.

I would very much like to learn more about Syteline. I suggest you do the same.

If I really had the opportunity, I would check in with the open source community to see where Compiere and OpenBravo stand. Are they ready for prime time?

Now you've got two California XA replies - who says mfg is dead in CA?

Disclaimer: Insert Infor XA and ISeries where applicable!