Jim,

I had a bit of exposure to MAPICS back in 1991 - 1993 as the company that
I worked for was an ASK MANMAN shop and we purchased a distributor of ours
that was a MAPICS shop.

We ended up in a hybrid situation with most of what we did remaining ASK
MANMAN.

I started using ASK MANMAN in 1987 and continued using it through its many
ownership changes, CA, SSA, until 2006.

In 1999 - 2000, I led a project to convert CA MANMAN to Oracle.

I started working here at Data Aire in 2006.

We are a XA/MAPICS shop so had to jump in the deep end and start learning
as much as I could.

I still have a lot to learn, but I am getting better all the time.

One of the things that I was shocked by was that the "green screen" still
existed.

I could as least give you a decent take on the comparison of these three
systems although Oracle has changed quite a bit since my project.

By the way, I believe that Infor purchased MANMAN a little while back but
I don't know what it is called now and I don't think that you will ever
see a full blown MANMAN ever again.

So quickly, from what I have seen so far, I wax nostalgic for MANMAN all
of the time.

It's still the best that I have seen of what I have been exposed to.

It had many, many more features than what I have seen in XA version 7, as
well as what I experienced in Oracle (once again, Oracle has advanced
significantly from where it was then).

The user manuals and database guides in MANMAN were the best that I have
seen.

My experience is that the user manuals in XA need a lot of work and
"downloadable" database guides are nonexistent..

MANMAN had many, many useful, standard reports.

XA is lacking in standard reports, although there are some.

MANMAN typically ran on HP 3000s, although VAX was another platform.

After 3 years of diligent trying, HP 3000s are still easier to negotiate
your way around than AS400/iSeries machines.

Now that I have angered the seasoned MAPICS and IBM users, I will say
this.

Infor is actively working on enhancing the XA product.

They are headed in the right direction and seem to be listening to what
the user community wants.

My impression is that that listening wasn't happening prior to last year's
Inforum conference where there was a significant uprising from the user
community.

I was impressed at Infor's quick reaction and change of direction post
conference.

XA is considerably cheaper than going the Oracle route and I think that
Infor is making enough right moves now that Oracle is starting to pay
attention.

And my now ancient take on Oracle was that there was nothing there that
made me go "Wow" (once again, it has to have improved since then).

I think that it would be a good move on your part to go with Infor XA.

I know nothing about SAP except what I have heard outside looking in and
what I have heard would make me stay away.

Anyway, my two to ten cents.

Patrick Cusick

Data Aire, Inc.
Information Technology Department
pcusick@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(714) 921 - 6000
(800) 347 - 2473

"Jim Happ" <jhapp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/28/2009 07:59 PM
Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[MAPICS-L] Decision to buy XA

I am a long time user of MRP software and used Mapics from 1982 - 1991. I
have subsequent 18 years with ASK, Data Works and DTR. Does XA compare
well
with other ERP solutions for mid size companies? Is XA a good fit for
injection molding with extensive value added?