It is my sad duty to pass on the news that Tom Glaza has passed away. Tom
was one of the driving forces behind the initial development and release of
MAPICS within IBM in the 1970s. When Tom and some colleagues observed that
the growing MAPICS user community needed education and support, Tom, Neville
May, Bill Metzger and John Diak started GMD Systems which quickly became the
leading MAPICS support organization at that time and since.

GMD developed and delivered a full range of courseware covering the entire
MAPICS range of function plus technical underpinnings and general management
concerns. In addition, MAPICS affiliates (19 "master agents" and their
organizations) covered the U.S. and a number of other affiliates delivered
education, services and software in Europe and elsewhere around the world.
GMD developed and/or acquired a number of software enhancements including
several that became a part of MAPICS in subsequect releases including
Purchasing, Stock Location and Lot Management (SLALOM), "process"
enhancement (decimal precision and batch bills) and more. GMD played a key
role in the development of MAPICS II and Tom continued his involvement as
head of marketing when MAPICS was spun off by IBM and acquired by Marcam.

Tom has been retired for a while and has been fighting cancer for the last
several years. His strength and positive attitude during this time have been
truly inspirational. I will miss him.

For those of you in the Atlanta area, there will be a memorial service next
Saturday July 25, at 10:00 AM at:
St. Aidan's Episcopal Church
13560 Cogburn Road
Alpharetta, GA 30004