We have built a 7.8 test environment from our current level 7.7. Just
beginning to test but so far here is what we have found:

The migration involved applying the 079000 PCM and the 079955 PCM. We
had some initial problems with these but finally got them applied.
Mainly making sure requisite PTFs were applied and a couple of issues we
found. It took several attempts on weekends to get the issues resolved.
Be sure to do this in a test environment first. A single PCM is now
available to go to the 079955 level.

The client install had a few issues starting with a bad qbatch routing
entry which caused the global environment to fail to start, but that was
resolved quickly with Infor help. They also helped make sure the client
startup tasks went ok and there were a few issues but we did get the
client installed as well as the new link manager. Our test PCs now have
both the 7.7 and 7.8 clients installed along with link manager and so
far these seem to be stable and work well. Our custom objects appear to
work fine in the new client. We are at the latest SP level on the
client.

Have not tested much of the new client functionality in COM and other
areas much yet.

As far as native RPG code, we have found very few changes that affect
our custom code. Most of the legacy code appears to be unchanged.
There are quite a few new files, logical and indexes and there is a PTF
for 79955 which lists these and the changes.

Joe Perrault