Kevin Fox (as usual) summed it up quite well. I was one of those IT Managers that developed a very convoluted process to auto-terminate all jobs prior to backups, and disabled the user-IDs during backups, then re-enabled them afterwards. And while it worked, it had all the problems that Kevin mentioned. However, how we handled that was that we always had one I.T. person work a little past normal quitting time (usually me) and that person would verify that all the batches (ESPECIALLY A/R and A/P!!! But also I/M) were closed and posted prior to leaving. Yes, the individual departments were responsible for that, but we always checked that before leaving. And the department managers were sent an email or voice mail if their people hadn't finished up their batches. That generally resolved the issues.

The people that left a maintenance green screen up just lost the last maintenance they did. Oddly, we never had a problem with Browser users having difficulties. Perhaps that was because the company remained on R6. (The company no longer exists, BTW.)

But as Kevin said, it's necessary for the individual users/departments to be held accountable to make sure they finish their day's work. I liked his methodology - it would have worked better than what we did.

Dale "Cork" Gindlesperger

Senior Business Analyst
Link Computer Corporation
Stadium Drive, PO Box 250