The Infor365 Online Community has a couple of nice benefits that I see.

1. It is a discussion forum rather than a mailing list. This allows for replies to be contained within the dission, rather than split up because the subject line was changed or the month ended. That being said, it requires you to sign on to the Infor365 Online Community portal to reply, although you can get e-mail alerts (I believe RSS feeds work on this as well) to any new activity.

2. I believe it also allows attachments which can be really helpful, esp with PowerLink applications which are so easy to create print screens and paste problems or solutions for all to see.

There are also a few problems that I see with it.

1. There is not the critical mass of users/questions on it to make it a very useful tool. Much of this a a catch 22; with nobody on it, why post to it, if nobody posts on it, why be on it.

2. The level of detail required to set up a user profile is obnoxious at best, time wasting and misleading at worst. It really needs to be simpler for required fields and allow more detail if users desire.

3. There are actually four XA related discussion lists that I know about. This one, the Infor365 one, xaeigroup.com (for those using Enterprise Intergrator), and some very loosly affliated discussions from ITtoolbox. This one by far has the best depth and bredth of information on it with all the great participants current and in the past. The xaeigroup has great detail on EI problems and solutions (A major drawback is no e-mail or RSS notifications unless you have added a comment to the discussion. This really needs to be added so I don't have to remember to go check it out every couple days.)

4. The Infor365 discussions have sometimes started with a good question on how to do something and ended with a support tech replying to call the support help line. This is frustrating in that it does nothing to help the online community.

Overall it sure is nice to have the community of users to ask questions of and get responses back. One of the biggest benefits that Infor could do, is to merge the information from E:info with the Online Community and give ways to link solutions, problems and further discussions together.

Just my two cents on a Friday. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

-Tom Stieger
Engineer
California Fine Wire
805-489-5144 x235