I think if you have integrator (Enterprise integrator is not necessary for this approach), you can accomplish what you want using user exits and a secondary object. It sounds like you already have maintenance history turned on. You would then create a secondary object to customer order with a Boolean field. When the user set this field to true, you would call your program from the user exit program (probably the O user exit update database from buffer). You might even add a second Boolean field to your secondary that would be updated depending on the successful completion of your program.

As long as you have the maintenance history user exit activated and compiled, I believe you will be able to see maintenance history on the user modified Boolean field in your secondary object. This has the added benefit that you can easily subset based on the condition of the two flags that you set up in your secondary.

Usual disclaimers follow.. this may not meet your requirements.. advice offered as is etc. etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of John Furniss
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:39 AM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Subject: [MAPICS-L] Creating CO Maint. History

My current task involves writing an RPG program to update
line item order dates per a certain set of criteria from PowerLink. The
user is to enter the desired date on a specific card, click the 'user'
tab and select my program. No problem here. But, the powers that be want
a record of this program having been run. So, I researched 'Customer
Order Maintenance History' which Mapics automatically creates when the
CO is created, changed, etc.

I found files TRNDTA and TRNSTS that look as if they contain
all the needed data and my idea was to write to these files. Questions:

1) I can't make any sense out of the Task Token, Task Group Token or
Task Parent Token. It looks like the Task Token are a common field
between the two files, but I can't figure out how Mapics decides what
these token numbers are to be.

2) These files take an extra long time to display when I query them - as
if they are linked to other files. Am I in dangerous waters by trying to
update these?

3) Has anyone tried doing something similar or am I sailing uncharted
waters here?

Any help or ideas are appreciated!

John Furniss

Allied Machine & Engineering, Corp